Summer Camp

Millie's Summer Camp (by Theodore Maple)
BASED ON THE SUMMER CAMP CRAFTING CHALLENGE!! (yay, my first challenge ever!)

Millie has recently been thinking about going to summer camp. Nobody would ever believe her, though, since everyone knew Millie was the type to stay indoors and read a book. But Millie also got bored very easily, and so she decided she was going to spark things up in her ten-year-old life and have a very fun summer.

It was a typical August day when Millie broke the news to her parents. (Georgina and I :D)

I would have never signed the contract, but Millie has a way of persuading people (especially her parents) to get her what she wants. Just with a few simple words, and by the next day, I surprised myself by declaring "Millie, you are now officially going to summer camp!"

It made me happy to see Millie so excited and so here we are, signing Millie up.



A few days later, I drove Millie to summer camp. I took some photos of her...


Millie packing her bag: It always takes her a while to decide what to bring to places.



Soon, I dropped her off at summer camp and we said our goodbyes. This is where Millie writes to the rest of the story. I found it in her diary...


I say goodbye to dad and walk to the camp. Everything seems big and unknown to me. I take a few steps forward and see that a man is waving hello to me. I wave back.

He says "Hi, I'm Bruce Outback, your new camp instructor. Today is your first day, so we won't do anything super special, just a lot of getting to know this place. Alright?'


"Alright," I say.

"Good," he says with a kind smile. He looks cheery and happy and I like that. "If you need me, just call me. Oh, and I'd like to give you your very own name tag!"

A name tag? Cool! I walk over and let him place the tag on me.


"Now your set to go. In a couple minutes, the kids at camp will introduce themselves to you and hopefully you'll all become friends quickly!"


"Thanks your the name tag!" I call as I skip merrily down to the sign that reads "Huckleberry Springs Camp," and then I read the rules. Good. now I'm ready. 


I see a girl reading books under a tree. Amongst all the other kids who seem wild and energised, she looks the most calm. I would probably do the same thing as her if she wasn't sitting under a shady tree reading books already.

"Hi," I say quietly, as not to disturb her. She lifts her chin up from behind the book. "Hi," she says, and the expression on her face looks like she doesn't really know if she wants to be friends with me or not. I decide to think of a conversation starter. "What 'ya reading?"

"I'm not actually reading, I'm sketching pictures of the wildlife. You know, the trees, flowers, even the grass. When I'm bored I draw the campers," she pauses and says "So your the new girl? I'm Camryn. I got here only because my brother wanted to go to camp."


I introduce myself and we talk and talk. Time goes by fast and soon Bruce calls us over to play a getting to know each other game. We sit around the campfire and tell each other about ourselves; our favourite colour, our favourite sport, our name (doh) and everything else essential.

So now I know about adventurous Sarah, show-off Gromwell, daring Chris, and shy Anthony :D


 Here's us playing!


We helped set up a big tent...


And had crafting time...


But soon it was time for me to head home...


When I did, I showed Mom and Dad what I drew for them...


Would you like to see too??
Love you, Millie XO

And lastly, here are some pictures of the summer camp diorama:
You can click on them to see them full size!
Hope you like them!

The tent

The reading spot

The rest of camp

Comments

  1. Emilie, its nice to see that Millie is always up for an adventure, even though she loves spending a good chunk of her time peacefully reading. Sounds like someone I know... hehe. Congratulations on jumping right into the crafting challenge. I always enjoy your creations. I really liked the name tags! Can't wait for Millie's next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mom,
      Thanks so much for your kind words!
      Millie does sound a lot like me LOL :D
      I had a lot of fun setting this all up.
      Thanks again, Emilie

      Delete
  2. Hi Emilie!
    Great job on the summer camp entry, and so lovely to see that Millie had such a good time at the Huckleberry Springs Camp! It looked like alot of fun and it was so nice of Millie to make friends with Camryn. I hope they keep in touch!
    I really admire Millie for stepping out of her comfort zone and giving camp a go! Her parents must be very proud of her! (and by the way, she's quite the artist too!)
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie!
      Thank you. I had a lot of fun putting this all together. I agree with the fun activities--if I had to spend my summer at a camp, I would choose this one! Hehe :D

      I hope Millie and Camryn keep in touch too. My next post will probably be about them meeting again and the camp and then organising a play-date or something together, I heard on the forum next challenge is a free one and so we crafters get to do what ever we want! Yay!

      Hope you have a lovely week, too!
      Emilie

      By the way, Millie thanks you for your compliment on her drawing and trying out summer camp. She sends you a hug!

      Delete
  3. Hi Emilie, great to see Millie's adventure! Looks like she had a great time. I like the photo of her showing her picture to her parents - very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GreyRabbit!
      Millie DID have a great time, and she was very happy to share it with you! Thanks again,
      Emilie :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Emilie!
    What a lovely story! I´m already very fond of Millie.She is such a sweet girl!It reminds me of my eldest daughter. She´s 9 years old.

    I love your diorama! You thought of every single detail, you even made name tags , the camp poster and rules.That´s are so cute!

    I´m glad Emilie decided to go to summer camp. It seems she is going to get on very well with Camryn. That could be the beginning of a good friendship.
    She looks very happy showing her drawing to her parents and by their reaction they seem to be very proud of their daughter not only for the lovely picture she drew but also for making her own decison of attending summer camp for the first time.

    Have a lovely day!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata!
      Thank you for your kind words! I enjoy writing about Millie and her adventures, too. She reminds me of myself hehe :)

      I agree, Camryn and her could become great friends, or just normal friends who see each other at summer camp. Or maybe not even be friends at all (in the end!). Those options I'll just have to figure out by next post!

      Her parents are very proud about their daughter and her decisions about her life. They think she is growing up at her own sweet pace and admire that about her. Anyway, the Maple Cats say hi!

      Have a lovely day, too,
      Emilie

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your first Challenge entry, Emilie; your story and pictures are great!

    As other people have mentioned, the name tags are a lovely touch. A clever idea. I particularly like the list of rules that Millie is carefully perusing. And that picture of Millie proudly showing her artwork - how much was Camryn's influence I wonder! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackson!
      I enjoyed creating and setting up for this story. I tried to make things as lively and colourful as possible and I guess I succeeded! Camryn and Millie are growing to be best friends every time she visits the summer camp. I'm glad to hear you liked it.
      Have a great day,
      Emilie

      Delete
  6. Hi Emilie!
    What a lovely story! I really enjoyed reading it. Your diorama looks great, you did a great job! Sounds like Millie made some good new friends on summer camp. I'm proud of her for being willing to get out of her comfort zone! I was similar to Millie when I was younger, too, and wanted to go to summer camp once. But my parents said no, haha! Glad Georgina and Theodore made a different choice! :)
    I also love the name tag, such a realistic touch! And her drawing was beautiful!
    Hope you're having a nice month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ayrell!
      I agree, the diorama came out well--or at least better than I thought it would, hehe!
      You're right, Millie did have a good time. A little bit shy at first, but soon she had friends and people to talk to!
      To bad your parents told you no summer camp when you were younger! But life has it's twists and turns, doesn't it? Thanks again for your comment on the name-tags! It seems everybody likes them! I just had the idea and realised nobody else had done it so I tried it out. Turns out it was a success! I had a hard time getting the name-tags to stick on the kid's clothing, though ;) hehe
      Millie is happy to hear you liked her drawing. She said she put a lot of effort in it and I guess we can all tell! Hope you have a nice rest of August, too!
      Emilie

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and have a wonderful day! Hope you liked my post:

Popular posts from this blog

Renovations in the Maple's House... PART 1!

A Very Merry Christmas

A Christmas Prelude