The Huckleberry Springs Bake-Off

Hi again!
Things are finally starting to get less busy in my life! But that also included my grandmother passing away, making arrangements for her funeral and going to the church. Now everything is starting to cool down. I will miss her ☹️

Today's story will be based on the prompt "The Great Sylvanian Bake-Off!"

I'm really excited because in the past I've made a lot of Sylvanian sized cakes, croissants, and cookies. So this will definitely be fun!

Also, one more thing: In my last story, "Camryn and Millie - Back to School" I added page separators, but now, they don't appear on my blog! Too bad, as it's a little confusing for the text above the blank space to say something like "Cutata inspired me to use page separators" and they aren't even there any more... I just can't figure out why 😕

(I'm actually NOT using page separators anymore, my computer always get's buggy with them)

Let's start...

So... every summer in Huckleberry Springs and all the other parts of Sylvania, the Great Sylvanian Bake-Off is held. It's a contest for best baker in Huckleberry Springs village (at least for this matter!)
Last year--and the year before, and the year before that--Emma Furbanks won the contest. For years she has been the best baker of all time, and so this year Georgina has decided to break the record with her own creations.


You see, since Georgina and the Maples are new to Huckleberry Springs, they'd heard of the GSBO (Great Sylvanian Bake-Off) but never participated. When they moved to Huckleberry Springs, they received a pamphlet for the big event. Georgina couldn't have cared less until she spotted text in the corner that said "Will you and your creation be able to beat Emma's??? And for the first time in five years, WIN????"

Now, usually, Georgina isn't very competitive, it's more Millie and Theodore who like to win things. But seeing that for five years no one had been able to win, she felt bad for all the Sylvanians who'd also been great bakers and entered their cakes and things and lost, every year.

She decided it was her turn to try to make things right.

So, she signed up and entered!

To make things better, it was also her birthday lately, and she had gotten a lovely cookbook on all things sweet and sugary, and pastries and cookies and cakes. There even a whole section on bread.

The next day, on September 17th, Georgina got right to work making her creations. The final result was beautiful, and Georgina was really excited.

On September 18th came the big day!

Here are some photo's of the town hall and the baking contest:

Lettuce and Georgina

Celia
Daisy

The Town Hall all ready for the Great Sylvanian Bake-Off!
About 10 minutes later, Judge Penelope Wilder arrived. The contestants waited on baited breath. Georgina held on to her necklace for luck, but then realised that the locket was gone! She quietly tried to search the floor without any suspicious behaviour, but it was nowhere to be seen. Theodore, who had given her the necklace at their wedding, would be devastated to know that it was lost!!!

Mrs. Wilder tasted Daisy Buttercup's chocolate cake first. "Hmm... very flavourful. Good work,"


She tasted Celia Teak's heart shaped pastries next. "Mmm... crunchy but tasty. I like it,"


She walked up to Emma Furbanks, who was a little intimidating for the other bakers. "Here, have a cupcake," she held up her creation. Mrs. Wilder smiled in delight. "It's adorable, Emma! I love the little raspberry perched inside!" she took a bite. "Yum! This is good, so creative!" Georgina watched Emma grin proudly over Mrs. Wilder's reaction. She gulped. She need to find that locket!


Fortunately for her, Mrs. Wilder stayed to chat a little with Emma, but as she bent down to keep looking, someone interrupted her. "Oh, I'm so nervous, I lose every year," the voice said. Georgina looked up to see it was the young teenage rabbit next to her muttering to herself.

"It's OK, I'm sure you'll do fine!" Georgina tried to cover up her anxiety about the locket with a smile. "Hmm?" the rabbit turned around, not expecting someone to hear her thoughts. "Oh! Hi! I'm Lettuce. I know, funny name. I was the one who suggested the name tags! Last year, it was really embarrassing! Some one called me Cabbage!"


Georgina chuckled. "I'm sure no one will call you that anymore! The name tags are a good idea!"


"Thanks," said Lettuce, but then she realised Mrs. Wilder was coming to test her bread next.
"Hello, Miss Snow-Warren, it's nice to see you this year... again! You really don't give up, eh? That's a good trait in a baker! May I have a bite?"

Although Mrs. Wilder tried to look happy, Georgina could tell she wasn't looking forward to trying Lettuce's bread any time soon. Lettuce bit her lip. "Sure, go right ahead!" she smiled nervously. Georgina suspected that her fellow contestant hadn't had a very good year before this one.


Mrs. Wilder took a small slice of bread, chewed a little, and then said "Lettuce, this is actually good! You did great this year! What made you... improve??"

But it was no time to worry about Lettuce and past baking experiences. she needed to find that... oh no! A terrible though suddenly struck her: the locket had landing inside the croissant! What if Mrs. Wilder took a bit and there was a locket from necklace inside! She would certainly be disqualified, and the talk of the town. She felt her face getting hot with fear.

While Mrs. Wilder had her back turned, she poked a hole inside her croissant and rummaged around with a fork inside. She really prayed her actions went unnoticed. Her fork hit something hard! She pulled out the locket and quickly attached it to her necklace. Phewf! That was close! She sighed. Georgina flipped the croissant over to the side without a hole.


Mrs. Wilder walked over to her, next. "Hello there you must be Georgina! What do we have here?" "A butter croissant with the optional chocolate sauce, chocolate bars, and two flavours of coffee." Georgina responded confidently. She was too over-joyed to have found the locket from her necklace to be nervous about your creation.


"Sounds delicious," said Penelope and took a bite. "Mmm!! This is delicious! Wow! All of my contestants did great this year... I think everyone should get a prize! Meet me at the park tomorrow to get your awards!"


Georgina smiled, proud of her work. "But, but..." Emma stuttered.


"I know you win every year." Penelope assured her. "But you'll be getting a prize, too. It's just that I can't let the other contestants go without a medal or something for their great work. Everyone did good! Don't worry."


The next day, Georgina arrived at the park earlier than the others. Lettuce had promised to tell her all about last year's baking fail before the judge came.

"So, last year, I entered for the baking competition. I had moved out of my parent's house. I had learn't how to drive and was getting my licence in a couple months. I had always loved baking and was super excited when I got a pamphlet in the mail advertising the Great Sylvanian Bake-off. But I was really rushed. I wanted to get the prize so badly I didn't even focus on what I was doing! While making my best bread, I didn't think and just plopped a whole egg into the batter without cracking it! I only realised once I was getting judged, about my mistake! Mrs. Wilder tried it, and she got a lot of egg shell, too! I was mortified, and she disqualified me for careless work. I entered again this year even though she told me never to come back. She was probably worried there was another whole egg inside there and I was playing a prank on her respectable self image!"



Georgina laughed and then shared the story of her own about the locket. They laughed and talked and laughed and talked until Mrs. Wilder and the other contestants arrived.

Everyone got a prize of the own. Georgina couldn't wait to tell her family about the extraordinary events that happened at the Bake-Off!



THE END

Hope you all have a great day!
Emilie 😘


Comments

  1. Hi Emilie,
    First of all, I'm truly sorry about your loss. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

    You did a great work with this entry to the bi-weekly challenges! I really enjoyed reading the story and looking at your pictures. Poor Georgina, losing her locket in her baked entry! Thankfully she got a new friend out of the whole ordeal and everything turned out OK. It was great that everyone got a prize, even if Emma Furbanks was a bit disappointed, haha!

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayrell!
      Thank you for your condolences. :)
      And, thank you for your kind words about my entry! It's always nice to hear from you. Georgina was pretty nervous about losing her locket but like you said everything turned out fine in the end and she ended up with Lettuce as her new friend!
      I was thinking Georgina should be the winner at first but then I thought "would she want that?" and really, the only reason she entered was because she felt sorry for she other participants, not winning the grand prize for 5 years! She wanted to win so that she could bring a sense of brighter future for the other ladies. Glad you liked the twist in my story!

      Have a great week,
      Emilie :D

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sylvie!
      Thank you for your condolences and for your kind words on my story. I had a lot of fun writing it! Hope to hear from your Snow-Warren family soon, too!

      Have a great week,
      Emilie :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Emilie,
    I´m really sorry to hear about your grandmother passing away. That´s so sad! I´d like to offer my heartfell condolences to you and your family.

    As for your last story, I really enjoyed it . I love the leaflet you made for the sylvanian bake off.It´s so detailed, I even spotted a picture of a cake when I enlarged it. I like how you set up the tables for the contestants. The idea of the name tags was very good. I had a laugh when Lettuce said someone called her Cabbage last year:)
    I admit I was a bit worried when Georgina realized her locket was inside the croissant. I thought Mrs. Miller was going to find the locket when she took a bite of it. Imagine if she did! She could have broken one of her teeth! I felt relieved when Georgina managed to remove it.
    I was curious to know what happened to Lettuce in last year´s bake off.I´m glad she told Georgina all about it. The two of them seem to get along very well.( Nice bench, by the way. You did a good job!)
    It was great they all got a prize. The all deserved it. Haha, Lettuce got lettuces in a lovely basket!
    Thanks for such a cute story!
    Have a nice weekend!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata!
      First, I'd like to thank you for your condolences. I really appreciate it :D

      Second, thanks for your lovely comment! I see you were interested in a lot of things (the leaflet, the bench, and the basket--my Mom helped me make it out of ribbon and polymer clay!) I hopefully won't forget to give you a more detailed look of those objects in my next post!
      I'm glad you liked the Lettuce/Cabbage joke. I was searching for the Snow-Warren mother figure's name and found out it was also one of a vegetable! So I thought of a funny joke where she was mistaken as "Cabbage" and then tweaked it around a little so that it was the reason for the name tags ;)
      Georgina was really relieved too when she managed to find and remove the locket. Imagine the troubles (that you mentioned!) it would have caused her if she didn't! Thank goodness everything turned out alright!
      Although they have an age gap--Lettuce is a young adult and Georgina is a mother--the two ladies have been getting along perfectly!
      Lastly, thanks for your comment on the basket! What thing could be better for Lettuce than lettuce! :D

      Your very welcome for the story! Glad you liked it and have a great day (and weekend!)

      Emilie :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Emilie!
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know it's never easy when a loved one passes away and I hope you and your family are getting along alright.
    Well done to all the bake-off contestants! I'm glad that they were all able to have a prize for their hard work.
    Poor Georgina, losing her locket in the croissant! I was relieved that it wasn't actually lost and that she managed to get it out!
    Blessings for the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsie!
      First of all I'd like to thank you for your condolences. We are all fine, thanks for asking. :)
      Second of all, thanks for your kind words on my latest entry! The bake-off contestants all worked really hard and they would be glad to hear you liked it! Georgina was also quite worried about her locket but she was so relieved when she found it at last.
      Thanks for the blessings! Hope you have a great week, too! Emilie :D

      Delete
  5. Hi Emilie. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My best wishes to you and your family at this sad time.

    Your bake-off story/pics are super. The name tags were a great idea. I'm glad Georgina found the locket and that Penelope didn't find the hole! I guess the explanation could have been that it was a place to pipe in some raspberry jam! I wonder if Emma's cake would have one if the judge hadn't wished to reward all the contestants? I suppose that will be her secret. It's nice that - after Millie found Camryn as a friend - Georgina looks to have found a friend in Lettuce.

    A fine entry to the challenge. Well done, Emilie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackson, thank you for your condolences and your kind words on my story. Georgina agrees, she was really relieved Mrs. Wilder did not find the hole, as she had tried for best to cover it up and flip the croissant on it's other side. I wonder if she explained to Penelope after wards, or if it was just her and Lettuce's secret! It's true, Mrs. Wilder really liked Emma's cupcakes but I think that she too was getting tired of Mrs. Furbanks winning every year! Georgina and Lettuce have been getting along quite splendidly, they talk to each other every morning on the phone and you can hear them laughing and chatting as the exchange stories and jokes about their lives. All in all, thank you for your comment and have a great day, Emilie :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Emilie - firstly, my condolences on the loss of your grandmother - I hope you and your family are doing okay.
    I really liked your story - I hope Emma wasn't TOO disappointed - after all, every good baker should know you can't win every time! I'm glad Georgina had a good time participating in the competition, and it's nice that she has made a new friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GreyRabbit, thank you for both your condolences and your kind words on my story! Sorry I didn't respond to your comment right away, I guess I forgot to keep checking after September 23rd! Emma wasn't too disappointed, but she certainly was surprised!

      Thanks again for your comment!
      Emilie and the Maples

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and have a wonderful day! Hope you liked my post:

Popular posts from this blog

Renovations in the Maple's House... PART 1!

A Very Merry Christmas

A Christmas Prelude